There are many things that are tragic about this pandemic. Should I list them? Well to name a few: the thousands of lives that have been lost; the many jobs lost that have left people hungry & desperate; the small businesses that many have given their whole life energy into creating are on the edge of going away; & the attention we are putting on creating an overly clean environment (instead of a clean INNER environment), which is creating a nation of germaphobes. There are so many more, but just these, many say, make our current state of affairs worse than the great depression. It is almost hard to imagine that just 5 months ago none of us would have ever dreamed we would be in lockdown with so many desperate for basic life necessities. It happened almost overnight and there was no period for people to get used to the change. This has left many in shock, grief & dealing with the unknown anxiety of the future of their basic survival needs but also survival itself. Many fear they may die from this & this fear is adding tremendous stress to their nervous system AND immune system.
Can homeopathy help?
Yes, it can! When someone is losing sleep because they have no money to pay their bills you can’t just give a remedy and the sleep will be fine because the cause is a real-life situation. It is normal to have symptoms like poor sleep when someone has no money for food right? The same goes for anxiety or depression also. It is still important to take remedies to help support our nervous systems, which can make a big difference in how we deal with daily stress.
Nervous system stress can lead to loss of sleep, uncontrollable crying, obsessive thoughts, uncontrollable mood swings & restless anxiety. Even if on a scale of 1-10 you feel your stress is a level 3, over time this is damaging. Many are not in tune with the stress because they are in the fight or flight mode and they only realize it when they crash either physically or emotionally. Stress is really something we must deal with because it is deadly.
Here are 3 remedies that can help calm our nervous systems:
- Ignatia. This is my go-to remedy when there is any kind of nervous system disruption. I LOVE Ignatia so much. It is my favorite nervous system calming remedy. The cause can be a grief, a worry, a shock, or just intense stress where we can’t get our minds off of the problem. All of these cause a person to be tense, uptight, possibly irritable or weepy & the long-term effects of this can be devastating on our health. Ignatia is the perfect remedy to help calm this tension that is underlying every cell in this person. I have patients over the years that would not leave home without a tube of Ignatia in their purse, pocket, car, or somewhere nearby them!
- Nux-vomica. Nux, as we call it among homeopaths, is also a great nervous system remedy. It is in the same plant family as Ignatia so it is no surprise this remedy also is such a wonderful antidote to stress. The cause of the stress needing Nux-vomica may be overthinking, overworking, & obsessing about how they can come out out of the situation and in the end, they have totally frazzled nerves. Nux will drink too much wine to calm them down, too much coffee to get them going because they are extreme & intense. They tend to be constipated & type-A personalities that are driven & ambitious. This is how you would determine which would be better between Nux-vomica or Ignatia. It the issue is grief, I would take Ignatia & if it was from overworking or thinking I would take Nux. However, both will act the same on the nervous system & calm a person down, but it is good to choose the remedy that fits your emotional state to get the best effect.
- Gelsemium. The full name is Gelsemium sempervirens. The common name is Yellow Jasmine. Gelsemium is one of the great anti anticipation remedies in homeopathy. It is a great remedy for dealing with ailments from shock, worry, fear, or anticipation. Always remember this & you will have already a golden gem to help you thru a crisis when you need it. The difference between Gelsemium and Ignatia or Nux is that Gelsemium feels paralyzed and heavy in their fear. They feel like they can’t move & so they don’t act. They may sleep all day or feel heaviness in their eyes or their legs. They will look like procrastinators as they can’t act. They look depressed as they are heavy and lethargic so it is a good depression remedy if the symptoms match. Mostly it is used for anticipating upcoming events like giving a big speech, or going to a dental appt, or taking a big test. However with the state of affairs, we are facing today with the pandemic crisis you can see already not only do people need this remedy when they get the Coronavirus & feel exhausted and can’t move but they need it even if they didn’t get the infection & are suffering emotionally & physically from the shock of losing their job & income, for example.
Now that you have 3 remedies to help you calm your nervous system it is important to know that being well in stressful times also takes other efforts. I also recommend you do the following.
- Eat as many plant foods as possible. Fruits, veggies, beans, grains & seeds.
- Get your sleep.
- Exercise just by taking nice walks maybe in a beautiful area where you can sit under a tree or hug it.
- Laugh. Try to find something joyful to smile or laugh about.
- Do something nice for someone else. A grocery store worker, an elderly neighbor … anyone!
- Be Creative & learn something you didn’t know before the pandemic.
- Use this time to enjoy the people that you do have in your life.
- Learn homeopathy – then you can help yourself out of this in the healthiest way possible
To do that I recommend you join me in the VS Club. It is on super sale right now for only $10/month. I have been doing lots of Facebook Lives but even if you don’t use FB you can join as I post all of the live videos in the private log-in member area of my site. Once you join you have access to the member area where I post notes, videos, live lessons, articles and so much more. Join me there now!
You can join by clicking here:
Have a CALM Wednesday and go do something nice for someone else. There are lots of things you can do that are free. But please don’t forget to have a good laugh as you know laughter is medicine!