TODAY’S GUEST: Joel Kahn
Dr. Joel Kahn is a plant based cardiologist whose personal mission is to prevent 1 million heart attacks over the next two years. The 1-Million-Heart-Attacks-Prevented goal is embraced by the U.S. Department Health & Human Services and the Surgeon General. Dr. Kahn’s brand of cardiology combines the best of Western and complementary therapies for total healing. He is known as “America’s Holistic Heart Doc” and graduated Summa cum Laude from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Dr. Kahn has been practicing invasive, interventional and preventive cardiology in Detroit since 1990. He is a Clinical Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) at Wayne State University School of Medicine and Associate Professor of Medicine at Oakland University Beaumont School of Medicine. In 2013, Dr. Kahn received a certification from the University of South Florida in Metabolic Cardiology and became the first physician to complete the program in the world. The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine has also certified Dr. Kahn in Metabolic Cardiology.
Over the past 25 years, Dr. Kahn has improved the lives and vitality of thousands of his patients taking many of them from chronic health to vibrant living. His devotion to patient care has earned him Top Honors and he has been nominated as a Top Doctor in Cardiology for many years straight. His passion for education and prevention is recognized by his patients and peer doctors alike. Reader’s Digest magazine selected Dr. Kahn for their Holistic Heart Doc column and their publishing arm published his book, The Whole Heart Solution, an Amazon #1 Top Selling book. His second book, Dead Execs Don’t Get Bonuses, was published in 2015 and is on the Bestseller List as well. Dr. Kahn medical views are published by the Huffington Post and Mind Body Green (combined circulation 50.1 million unique monthly visitors) and he is a frequent radio, TV and Podcast guest. Dr. Kahn also appears regularly on Fox TV 2 in Detroit as a health commentator and a Member of the Yahoo Health Advisory Board.
Connect With Today’s guest: Dr. Joel Kahn
IN THIS EPISODE:
Why is a plant based diet the most important part of a heart-healthy lifestyle? Why are other diets unhealthy by comparison? In this episode, Dr. Joel Kahn, plant-based preventative cardiologist, talks with me about the answers to these questions and more. Listen in to find out why a plant-based diet is the best choice for every aspect of your life and health!
Are you confused about what really constitutes a heart-healthy lifestyle? That confusion may be intentional and related to certain industries’ desire to keep their market share. Listen to my conversation with Dr. Joel Kahn and find out about the “misinformation pit” and how you can avoid falling in.
A plant-based diet is good not only for heart health, but for many other aspects of your health as well. Even your sexuality is affected by the foods you eat. In this episode, Dr. Joel Kahn talks about the influence of a plant-based diet on your sexual function. Listen and find out what foods are natural “Viagra”!
How much and what kind of fats are good for you? Is it the same for everyone? In today’s interview with Dr. Joel Kahn, we talk about the role of fat in a heart-healthy lifestyle and the changes you can make that will significantly improve your heart healthy lifestyle. Break through the confusion with some straight facts about fat.
“Test, not guess!” In this episode, Dr. Joel Kahn talks with me about the tests he considers the most important to help you prevent heart disease. Find out which tests can give you the best information, and where you can get them. Listen to our conversation to get tips on inexpensive tests that can provide valuable information!
Outline Of This Great Episode
- [2:00] Intro to the podcast and this episode
- [5:24] Bio of Dr. Joel Kahn, plant-based preventative cardiologist
- [10:16] Dr. Joel Kahn’s story - from medical school to plant-based cardiology
- [14:29] Wanting good news for your bad habits -- Why people continue to denounce the proven benefits of a plant based diet.
- [17:28] The diet misinformation pit. Why they want to keep you confused.
- [19:18] Why other diets are unhealthy compared to a plant based diet.
- [24:51] Why do many cardiologists not recommend a plant-based diet?
- [29:00] Your biggest step toward health and a better environment - a plant based diet.
- [31:33] The effect of a plant based diet on sexual function.
- [32:50] How much and what kinds of fat does a person need?
- [41:53] Break and product promotions
- [43:08] Conflicting sources add to the confusion about a heart healthy lifestyle.
- [45:18] What amounts of cholesterol and fat are good for your body?.
- [51:04] How does a healthy heart work? What is a heart attack? What is a stroke?
- [54:26] Important tests you should have to help determine your heart health.
- [01:11:58] Three tips for a heart healthy lifestyle
Resources Mentioned On This Episode
- Book: The Whole Heart Solution (Affiliate Link)
- Book: Dead Execs Don’t Get Bonuses (Affiliate Link)
- Dr. Kahn's Website
- Book: Dr. Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disease (Affiliate Link)
- Book by John Robbins - Diet for a New America (Affiliate Link)
- American College of Cardiology
- Article about calcium in arteries