Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is a board-certified family physician, six-time New York Times best-selling author and nutritional researcher who specializes in preventing and reversing disease through nutritional and natural methods. Dr. Fuhrman is an internationally recognized expert on nutrition and natural healing and has appeared on hundreds of radio and television shows.
Through his own hugely successful PBS specials, which have raised more than $30 million for public broadcasting stations, he brings nutritional science to homes across America and around the world
Dr. Fuhrman is the President of the Nutritional Research Foundation and is a member of the Dr. Oz Show Advisory Board. His works and discoveries are published in medical journals and he is involved with multiple nutritional studies with major research institutions across America.
Dr. Fuhrman is the author of six New York Times bestsellers: Eat to Live* (Little Brown, 2003); Super Immunity* (HarperOne, 2012); The End of Diabetes* (HarperOne, 2013); The Eat to Live Cookbook* (HarperOne, 2013); The End of Dieting* (HarperOne, 2014) and The End of Heart Disease* (HarperOne, 2016). To date, he has sold more than three million books.
In addition to his New York Times bestsellers, Dr. Fuhrman has written several other popular books on nutritional science which include: Dr. Fuhrman’s Transformation 20 Diabetes (Gift of Health Press); 10 in 20: Dr. Fuhrman’s Lose 10 Pounds in 20 Days Detox Program (Gift of Health Press); Eat for Health* (Gift of Health Press), Disease Proof Your Child*(St. Martin’s Griffin), Fasting and Eating for Health* (St. Martin’s Griffin) and the Dr. Fuhrman’s Nutritarian Handbook and ANDI Food Scoring Guide* (Gift of Health Press).
Connect With Today’s guest: Dr. Joel Fuhrman
IN THIS EPISODE:
Do you think you’re eating healthy? Well, you might not be. There is so much misinformation out there about what healthy eating looks like. Have you heard of eating a nutritarian diet? No matter what your eating lifestyle is right now, you’ll want to listen to my conversation with Dr. Joel Fuhrman to find out the truth, based on science and good research, about how to eat for optimal health and longevity.
You don’t have to be sick. Even serious illnesses can be turned around through nutritional excellence. In this episode, Dr. Joel Fuhrman explains how autoimmune diseases can be reversed and how we can avoid serious health problems through good nutrition. The nutritarian diet focuses on the science of eating the foods we actually need for optimal health. If you are sick of being sick, you definitely need to listen in on this conversation and get the information you need to start on the road back to health.
Are you tired of all the conflicting information about what to eat to be healthy? Are you, like most people, utterly confused about what you should eat? In my conversation today with Dr. Joel Fuhrman, he tells me about what foods are the most important, and what foods you should definitely avoid. And it might not be what you think. Listen in to cut through the clutter of all the misinformation and get started on a nutritarian diet that will truly lead you toward health and longevity.
The psychology of pills is keeping us sick. It is so appealing and so convenient to think that we can get the nutrients we need and help for our diseases by taking pills. In this episode, Dr. Joel Fuhrman explains how this mindset is actually keeping us sick. Listen to our conversation to find out why eating whole foods instead of taking pills is so important, and how changing this mindset would even have a huge effect on our society.
Are you overwhelmed at the thought of trying to start eating a nutritarian diet? In this episode, Dr. Joel Fuhrman shares the two first steps you should take to get started. We also talk about why the nutritarian lifestyle is so important, what kinds of foods are good and not good for your body, and how you can get started making the changes that will get you healthy and keep you healthy. Overcome the overwhelm by taking the first small steps that Dr. Fuhrman recommends.
Outline Of This Great Episode
- [1:43] Intro to this episode and 8 steps to leading a healthy nutritarian lifestyle.
- [5:42] Bio of Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
- [8:42] Dr. Fuhrman’s story of how a skating injury motivated him to go into medicine.
- [12:08] Sports performance and longevity are strongly related to healthy diet.
- [14:40] You don’t have to be sick.
- [19:02] What is a nutritarian diet?
- [20:20] The dangerous ramifications of the Paleo diet.
- [27:13] How do you know what research is good?
- [31:05] What kinds of foods are good for you? What kinds are bad?
- [36:15] How our “pill psychology” is damaging our health.
- [40:59] Break and thank-yous.
- [42:58] What is the driving force behind people to not change their eating lifestyle?
- [49:42] You might not be eating healthy, even if you think you are.
- [55:07] Why are essential fatty acids so important for our brains?.
- [56:10] Are you afraid to eat fruit?
- [57:41] What foods should I avoid?
- [1:04:36] What about raw food vs cooked food?
- [1:06:38] First steps if you want to change to healthy eating.
Resources Mentioned On This Episode
- See all of Dr. Fuhrman’s books in his bio above.
- 8 Steps to Living a Nutritarian Lifestyle