Part 1- Brenda Davis - The Truth Behind Nutrition & The Requirements The Human Body Really Needs!
Brenda Davis is an amazing healthy version of what we know as a Registered Dietician or an RD. RD’s are the practitioners that doctors send their patients to & who plan the menus at hospitals and you all know how bad & unhealthy hospital food is right? So you may wonder why I have an RD on the show. Well, wait & listen to Brenda! She is a first class healthy whole foods plant based foods advocate. Yes there are not many dietitians like Brenda. She was a dietician first and then became a passionate vegan once she learned the power of plants and especially when she was challenged by a friend who confronted her for eating animals! Listen to hear the whole story but more than that listen to learn the truth of what nutrition is important for the human body and why animal foods are harmful not helpful. Brenda is a leader in her field and an internationally acclaimed speaker. She has worked as a public health nutritionist, clinical nutrition specialist, nutrition consultant and academic nutrition instructor.
Remember you heal with homeopathy, detoxing and a diet powered by plants!
Please REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE in iTunes
LINKS FOR REVIEW PAGE &TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES
(Once you click on above link then click on View in iTunes & then click on Review tab or Subscribe).
LINKS FOR REVIEW & TO SUBSCRIBE TO STITCHER
(Once you click on above link click on + sign to subscribe and click on 5 stars to write a review).
Welcome back everyone. Today’s show is going to be great… ok I know I say that about every show but I think each guest is such an expert in their field and has so much to share with us…. so that defines GREAT don’t you think? Brenda is unique in my mind because when I think of a Registered Dietician I think of a very unhealthy profession which is bought off by the meat, dairy and sugar industry! Registered Dieticians are the ones that design the hospital menus so you know what I mean now right? Well Brenda is not only a well trained dietician but one that only recommends a whole food plant based diet for health. How about that? See the world is slowly changing. She is amazing and I can’t wait for you guys to hear what she has to say. I have read many of her books, articles and heard her on other podcasts and I was so excited she agreed to be a guest on my show.
Let’s take a minute for business.
I would like your feedback on if you like my new episode I am calling vital littleSPEAKS.
I thought since many of my interviews are longer it may be better to do a separate podcast that is short and to the point and covers one topic, tip, remedy or recipe or whatever actually. If it something of value for you then I want to share it with you. Send me an email or voicemail thru the vidalSPEAKS.com website to let me know what you think.
Please be sure to SUBSCRIBE and REVIEW my show. That will help me so much because my life goal is to reach millions and try to help people really learn to make smarter choices when they are faced with health issues. It is a must to have both information about all options when we are faced with a challenge and hearing stories of how so many healed themselves from what doctors will tell you is incurable will only give hope that there are other options out there that make much more sense.
Honestly my reason to grow this podcast to a huge level is because I want to help millions of people in my life! So please help it grow by subscribing & reviewing, posting and speaking about it on your social media and passing the link on to others and asking them to pass it on. As you have seen in politics the power of a grass roots effort is never to be under estimated. LET’S DO IT ON THE HEALTH LEVEL OK?
Now let me introduce to you Brenda.
Bio of Brenda Davis
Brenda Davis, registered dietitian, is a leader in her field and an internationally acclaimed speaker. She has worked as a public health nutritionist, clinical nutrition specialist, nutrition consultant and academic nutrition instructor. Brenda is the lead dietitian in a diabetes research project in the Marshall Islands. She is a featured speaker at nutrition, medical and health conferences throughout the world.
Brenda is co-author of nine award-winning, best-selling books – Becoming Vegan: Comprehensive Edition (2014), Becoming Vegan: Express Edition (2013), Becoming Vegan (2000), The New Becoming Vegetarian (2003), Becoming Vegetarian (1994, 1995), Becoming Raw (2010), the Raw Food Revolution Diet (2008), Defeating Diabetes (2003) and Dairy-free and Delicious (2001). She is also a contributing author to a tenth book, The Complete Vegetarian (2009). Her books are vegetarian/vegan nutrition classics, with over 750,000 copies in print in 8 languages. Brenda has authored and co-authored several articles for peer-reviewed medical and nutrition journals and magazines.
Brenda is a past chair of the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association. In 2007, she was inducted into the Vegetarian Hall of Fame. Brenda lives in Kelowna British Columbia with her husband, Paul Davis.
- Protective components are found in all plant foods & not in animal foods at all.
- Why as human beings should we contribute to the suffering of animals when there is no need for it but also when we are destroying the planet and our own health by doing.
- Animal agriculture is responsible for more green house emissions than all forms of transportations combined.
- Most people love animals and don’t want to see animals suffer and we inherently care about animals but we have become desensitized to food animals.
- When everyone eats like this then we don’t it feels like we are being pushed away from the tribe and everyone wants to belong to the tribe.
- Nutritionally the body does not need animal products.
- The bottom line we have to learn to be more conscious human beings.
- The idea of one step at a time is invaluable
- Vegan breakfasts and lunch is easy. There are so many non diary milks that are delicious and then move slowly into dinners and trying to replace your favorite recipes with vegan ones.
- Drugs and surgeries will never reverse lifestyle diseases and the only thing that can do that is changing your lifestyle which includes a plant based diet.
- I am working on a project in the Marshall Islands. They have the highest rate of diabetes in the world. People who have lived of the land for many generations are prone to diabetes when they change their diets to a western diet. 70 years ago there was NO diabetes there. They ate all their land plants and 50% of calories probably came from coconuts. But now their islands have become very inhabited and now the island has to sustain 30,000 and it can’t so they have to import food to sustain population. They bring in the cheapest foods like Spam, high fructose drinks, dry ramen noodles and Koolaid.
- The things that are affordable that are healthy take time to prepare but they have lost the desire to do that and they choose the fast junk foods first. They don’t do the work to learn how to incorporate beans and rice and things that take some effort. They eat processed meat and all the parts of the animals that we don’t want, ice cream, and spam and junk.
- The acid test is to look at the people in the world with the lowest disease like in the Blue Zones and they don’t get type 2 Diabetes and they have the highest intake of carbohydrates. Carbs are not the issue unless we remove an ingredient and then add fat, sugar, salt and a bunch of crap to them. So it is only the carbs that have all the things added to them or known as refined carbohydrates that are bad for diabetes but not the whole plant food carbs.
- The population in the Marshall Islands is being totally wiped out due to diabetes and disease that is all from their diet. We need import foods that will help them sustain health.
- If you compare meat to carbs, unrefined carbs are fine. In the last 4 years we have a number meta analysis that shows there is a rise in diabetes with meat intake. Even poultry raised the rate 20%. There is not ONE study that shows that any animal protein decreases the risk.
- When you consume a lot of meat you get a lot of inflammatory compounds like new 5gc, you get hem iron which increases the oxidative stress, you have saturated fat which increases insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is a disease really of overeating too many foods so you get too much fat & the wrong kinds of fat in your cell membrane so you get trans fatty acids and saturated fat in your cell membrane and they then dumb down the membranes and make it more difficult for the cells to get the insulin.
- Not that some saturated fat is bad because we do get some in just about every food we eat that has fat in it, but these excessive amounts that comes from eating animal products and every single blue zone you look at are all eating a plant based diets.
- Every needs fat because our cell membranes our made of fat and humans have an absolute requirement for fat. It is a critical nutrient and if you look at different populations we see some that get 10% of calories from fat and others that get 30-35%, but the fat needs to come from WHOLE foods like nuts, seeds and avocados not processed foods and animal foods. Plant foods that have fat are packed with phyto chemicals and compounds that are so healthy.
- One diet is not for all even in the plant based diet we will find people who need more protein then they have to learn how to do that within the plant based diet. Seniors often need more protein because they absorb as much as 25% less than a younger adult so they could use a little more.
- There are only a few people with an inborn genetic disorder that could not sustain a plant based diet. I have only come across a few people that have failed to thrive on a vegan diet and they were seniors that needed a bit more fat & they got better when they made those adjustments. Fat helps with the absorption of critical nutrients. Nuts, seeds, avocados, chia, flax seed, coconut and almond butter are the good fats.
- The way I look at oil and sugar is that they should be treated as flavorings rather than key ingredients. I get most of my sugar from whole dried fruits because then you get fiber and nutrients and they you get the valuable from the sugar.
- We digests carbs as sugars and our bodies use sugars, but we don’t want to overwhelm the body’s to deal with sugars by eating a ton of sugars.
- Oil is a very poor food, it has the lowest nutrient density which means how many nutrients per calorie. It has 120 calories per tablespoon and we can’t afford to eat something that high in calories with so little nutritional value. So we should only use it in very small amounts and as a flavoring.
- Brenda’s take on coconut oil taken from her website: It turns out that coconut oil is neither a menace nor a miracle food. Coconut should be treated in much the same way as other high-fat plant foods—enjoyed primarily as a whole food. As such, it is loaded with fiber, vitamin E, and healthful phyto-chemicals. As a bonus, it has powerful antimicrobial properties. On the other hand, coconut oil should be viewed the same way as other concentrated oils: a food that provides a lot of calories with very few nutrients. When your diet is high in concentrated fats, it can be difficult to meet your needs for other nutrients. It’s okay to use some coconut oil when preparing special-occasion treats, but don’t rely on it as part of your daily fare. Base your diet on whole plant foods, and when you do use coconut oil, make sure it is organic and virgin.
- The institute of medicine states that the human body has no need for cholesterol. We make 1000 mg a day and what would come from food would be 300 or 400, the rest our body makes.
- I know many vegans who have ZERO problems with hormones and they do much better than woman who eat animal cholesterol. I didn’t even notice menopause.
- I know people who have strong feelings about soy because it has phyto estrogens. You will see all the anti SOY information on the internet. It is unfortunate because if you back and look again at the Blue Zones they eat 3-4 servings of soy a day. The problem is how much GMO soy they add to processed foods with soy additives.
- If you eat first generation soy products like tempeh, tofu and edamame beans it has been shown to be protective. The cancer association sent out a press release saying soy is protective and there is a life time breast cancer reduction risk. If you have breast cancer it improves your recovery.
- A study from Korea showed people with BRACA genes and ate soy had 61% reduction of risk of cancer and the higher meat intake people had a 200% increase in breast cancer.
- Meat is a major cause of cancer.
- With men intake of soy reduced the risk of prostate cancer by 51% and it can reduce metastasis if you have cancer, can reduce side effects of radiation. It helps with symptoms of menopause.
- Use only organic soy as it is GMO crop.
- Funny people eat animals that ate all the GMO crap soy fed to the cow but they worry about eating tofu.
- It doesn’t make sense to funnel our food thru animals before we eat it. If people stopped eating meat we would increase the human calorie supply and wipe out world hunger. When we eat the food directly it is so much more ecologically wise.
Isn’t Brenda great you guys? I have her huge Comprehensive manual called Becoming Vegan and if you are a practitioner or a junkie of information you should get it. I recommend it to all homeopaths if you are listening. Brenda is so knowledgeable and her field is understanding nutrition in relation to what the human body needs and thrives on. I think you are all learning that the one thing in common in healing from disease is a plant powered diet. Plants are filled with phyto nutrients, fibers, proteins, fats and all we need. We were given all we needed in plants and it was only out of desperation when the hunters and gatherers could not gather did they kill an animal. They always then prayed for gratitude of their kill and would only take an animal life when they could not find plant foods or seeds. Regardless what your taste buds like, regardless what your ethical status on eating animals and animal abuse, one thing we all should have as our utmost concern is our OWN health. There is absolutely no proof… and by that I mean not one single scientific experiment that shows eating animals offers any properties to reverse any of the lifestyle diseases we are facing today. Every cancer clinic removes animal products first and that should tell you something. And the diet that is called Ketogenic diet that Dr. Nicolas Gonzales used had many failures in patients and now even he before he died he and others that have used it say the cancers always return using this diet. There is now many people jumping ship on this diet as evidence is proving it not as valuable as they had thought. Even if these high protein and fat diets work to lower blood sugar and cholesterol temporarily, check your blood work each year and sooner or later the disaster will begin and then it will take you years to come back. WE all want good news for our bad habits….. but sorry there is no good news about eating animals in any regard. You really are slowly killing yourself, our planet not to mention we currently kill 70 billion land animals every year and ruining our planet just to grow feed to feed these animals. You have to watch the movie Conspiracy and you will totally understand what I mean. But the reason to change is YOU.. your own health. Today it is standard procedure in the medical profession to put every 60 year old on cholesterol lowering drugs like Lipitor. It is rare to see anyone over 55 who is not on high blood pressure meds or should be but refuses to take them. Diabetes type 2 is at an all time high… and these are proven to be all lifestyle diseases. Our consumption of animals proteins has increased at the same rate these diseases have increased and if animal protein was so beneficial then we should be healthier after all these years of listening to the meat & dairy industry RIGHT? Think about it.
The truth is the proof is in a plant powered diet. Any way you get more plants, fruits, nuts, seeds, and legumes in your diet you will be better off. Take those steps now to take charge of your health later!
Ok that is it for now guys..
You must know what time it is now…
That’s right…. it is time to say goodbye!
Remember you heal with homeopathy, detoxing and a diet powered by plants!
Vidal has spoken
Links for the show
Brenda’s Website - Check it out especially the recipe section!
Recipe for the Caramel Vegan Turtles Brenda spoke of.
Links to Brenda’s articles
If you want to read some good articles on Soy, Vit D, being vegan go here:
Reasons to go vegan:
Articles on Soy, Diabetes, Treating Gout with plant based diets, Dogs thriving vegan
More articles on Soy, Coconut Oil and Paleo Diet
Graph where Brenda compared the real Paleolithic diet to a vegan diet and the new Paleo diet:
Videos of Brenda Davis RN
PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE
Links to review
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE ON ITUNES & SOUNDCLOUD
It’s easy You can subscribe directly from vidalSPEAKS.com
LINKS FOR REVIEW PAGE &TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES
(Once you click on above link then click on View in iTunes & then click on Review tab or Subscribe)
LINKS FOR REVIEW & TO SUBSCRIBE TO STITCHER
(Once you click on above link click on + sign to subscribe and click on 5 stars to write a review)